Monday, July 8, 2013

To Know God


Believers, Christians, Christ-followers - whatever name you adhere to…

We should be on a quest to know God deeper and deeper.  Because we love Him - why wouldn’t we genuinely and passionately want to know as much as we possibly could about Him then share that?

The purpose of the cross is that we could know HIm - that’s what Jesus defines as eternal life in John 17:3.  It thus begins on earth and is finished in heaven, but that doesn’t mean we can’t fully engage in the process now.

Being with God is knowing God, which breeds within us a greater and better capacity to love.  Knowing God - all about Him - opens the door to us becoming more like Him.  For how can we be like someone who we don’t know?

So I say we keep striving to know all we can about God - no to say we will ever fully understand Him, but maybe actually we can, for we believe that all God Goes, He does out of love, for good and His will - His will being that all are reconciled to Him.  Knowing that is full understanding of God right there.  We understand that He is love and that He wants us with Him, thus all He does points to that.

I think resigning to not knowing what God esteems in a certain situation can be dangerous, because it could provide a blockade in our love or lead us acting out in a way very counter to His will.  So I say strive to know all we can about the One whom we love most.  I can’t understand why we wouldn’t.  I don’t strive to know all I can about and of God in an attempt to conquer Him in anyway or to bring Him down to a mere human level of understanding, so so I can better use Him for my own power and control, but simply because I love Him and He’s my everything, so my appetite for Him is insatiable.

I need all of Him, all the time and want to keep embedding myself deeper and deeper into Him and fully know Him so I can be totally consumed and immersed by Him.

Thus the reason behind my obsession with critically and constantly approaching theology.  The drive of my analyzing, my constant seeking and questioning.  I just want to know Him more.  And what He wants of me and for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment